Bachelorette star Clare Crawley got slammed on Twitter on Saturday, April 25, after she appeared to shade Matt James, who is a contestant on her postponed season.
The controversy began when she tweeted a message earlier in the day, writing, “If you are doing interviews and creating Cameo accounts before you are even on my season… you are in it for the wrong reasons… #dontwasteyourtime.”
Want the Top 5 news stories of the day delivered straight to your inbox before you even wake up? Sign up for the Fame10 Top 5 newsletter and receive 5 breaking news stories every morning!
Although she didn’t specifically call out James by name, Crawley’s followers were quick to defend him.
However, the 39-year-old hairstylist wouldn’t back down. She followed up her original tweet with another that read, “Respect the opportunity you’ve been given. Respect the rules. Respect me.”
The next day, Sunday, April 26, Crawley responded to Bachelor Nation’s Olivia Caridi, who responded to her controversial tweet from the previous day, which she took aim at a certain someone who is “doing interviews and creating Cameo accounts.”
“Who is he???” Caridi wrote. “Y’all are acting like I’m supposed to be able to deduce this is about a certain person?”
“You weren’t supposed to deduce babe,” Crawley replied. “It was about MULTIPLE men and a general thought I was having while we sit here in a real life crisis where someone’s (everyone’s) time + sincerity hold so much weight and value.”
“Right, because there’s a bunch of guys who are doing interviews and cameos that are supposedly on your season,” a fan replied in the Twitter thread. “I’m calling BS on this response. If I’m wrong, who are the men besides Matt?”
Besides James, the only other contestant from Crawley’s season who is on Cameo is former NFL player Dale Moss. However, he hasn’t done any recent interviews, but he did do a cooking demonstration for the Professional Athletes Foundation and NFL Players Association on an Instagram Live this past Saturday, where he opened up about how he’s staying healthy during social distancing.
James has recently received press for his charity, ABC Food Tours, and spoke to several outlets to promote his Fit-A-Thon live stream even that raised money for Operation Food Fight, which provides meals for healthcare workers during the current public health and safety situation.
After fans called out Crawley for seemingly shading James, she shared a message on her Instagram Stories about the claims.
“For those of you who may have missed the message earlier this week, myself and Alex Bachman, my former teammate and current New York Giants wide receiver, pledged all of our Cameo earnings to the Robin Hood Foundation to fight this fight,” James said on Saturday. The Robin Hood Foundation is a charity organization that helps to fight poverty in New York City.
Season 16 of The Bachelorette has been put on indefinite hold due to ongoing public health concerns. After the production announcement was made, Crawley asked fans to continue to apply to appear on her show.
For James’ part, he told Us Weekly on Tuesday, April 21, that he is excited to meet Crawley.
“I’ve been very patient up to this point, and there is a young woman who’s in Sacramento right now that I’m looking forward to meeting once all this stuff settles down,” he told the outlet. “So I’m hoping that I can be patient a little bit longer and ride this thing out and everyone’s safe and then we can get back to our daily lives and moving forward.”
Want exclusive Bachelor content (news, spoilers, lists & more) delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our Exclusive Reality TV Email!