Former Full House star Lori Loughlin is pushing the court to release evidence that she alleges could help her prove her innocence in the ongoing college admissions scandal saga.
In court documents filed on Friday, attorney Sean Berkowitz, who represents Loughlin and her fashion designer husband Mossimo Giannulli, claimed evidence that could be used to strengthen the duo’s case is being withheld by the prosecution because it was deemed as irrelevant and insignificant. Berkowitz is demanding that the FBI hand over interviews with the William “Rick” Singer, the individual at the center of the college admission controversy, which they allege would show that the actress and her husband were told their payments were used for university-approved purposes or charitable causes.
“The Government appears to be concealing exculpatory evidence that helps show that both Defendants believed all of the payments they made would go to USC itself — for legitimate, university-approved purposes — or to other legitimate charitable causes,” read the filing, which was submitted at Massachusetts’ U.S. District Court.
The motion continued: “The Government’s failure to disclose this information is unacceptable, and this Court should put a stop to it.”
At this time, prosecutors from the U.S. attorney’s office in Boston have refused to release the transcripts in full.
Loughlin and her husband allegedly paid $500,000 to admissions consultant Singer (and his nonprofit organization, Key Worldwide Foundation) to falsely designate daughters 20-year-old Olivia Jade Giannulli and 21-year-old Isabella Rose Giannulli, as recruits to University of Southern California crew team, but the daughters never actually participated in the sport.
In addition to the money laundering conspiracy, conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and honest services mail and wire fraud charges, the couple were given another federal charge on October 22: one count each of conspiracy to commit federal programs bribery. Loughlin and Giannulli pleaded not guilty to the charges.
According to court documents, the pair’s defense team said it’s key to the case how the couple was told their monetary donations were to be spent. The defense team believes that with the release of the Singer statements, they think it can show that the actress wasn’t aware the money would be used for bribery.
“As noted, in making their case to the jury, Giannulli and Loughlin intend to present evidence that they reasonably believed KWF was a bona fide charitable organization, and that their payments to KWF would support programs geared toward helping underprivileged children,” read the motion.
An insider previously told PEOPLE that Loughlin believes she has a “valid defense.”
“Lori in particular has become extremely well-versed in the case,” the source said at the time. “She’s an active participant in her own defense.”
The source also added: “She feels like she’s got a valid defense, and that when all the evidence comes out, that she won’t be found guilty. She still is looking into the avenues to defend herself against what she thinks is a meritless charge.”