10 Drug Related Celebrity Deaths
8. River Phoenix
On Halloween in 1993, Joaquin Phoenix’s older brother, River, died of acute multiple drug intoxication involving lethal levels of cocaine and morphine, outside Johnny Depp’s Los Angeles Club, The Viper Room. On the night of his death, the promising young actor, who starred in “Stand by Me,” was seen drinking and then in convulsions. After being ushered out of the club by a bouncer, the 23-year-old actor collapsed in seizures. Joaquin called an ambulance; however, once River arrived at the hospital, he was in full cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead an hour later.
7. Heath Ledger
Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of painkillers, sleeping pills, anti-anxiety medication and other prescription drugs in 2008. According to the examiner, the cause of death was “acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine.” The examiner’s office also indicated that the Oscar-winning actor’s death was caused by a gradual build-up over time as opposed to a sudden binge. He was 28-years-old.